Cuban Lentil soup (Potaje De Lentejas)
The traditional Cuban Lentil soup (Potaje De Lentejas) is thick and hearty. It can be served alone or with rice. This recipe makes approximately 6 servings.
- 1 cup Lentils; (Rinsed well)
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 medium Onion; (Minced)
- 6 cups of Water
- 1 cube Beef or Chicken Bouillon
- 1 stalk Celery; (Minced)
- 2 Tomatoes; (Seeded and Chopped)
- 1 Potato; (Peeled and Diced)
- 3 Basil Leaves
- 0.5 tsp Oregano
- 0.25 cup White Wine Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin 1 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp Pepper
- 0.25 Green Bell Pepper; (Minced)
- 2 cloves Garlic; (Minced)
- 1 small Spanish Chorizo; (Sliced)
- 1 small Smoked Ham Shank; (or Bacon)
- 0.5 packet Sazon Goya w/ Culantro and Annatto; (If Needed)
In a Med/Large Pot combine water and Lentils. Boil for 1 minute the reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients except Sazon and wine. Bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer for 45 minutes.
Remove Bay leaf, Basil leaves, and Ham shank. Remove the meat from the shank and shred. Place ham shank meat back into pot. Add wine. Add Sazon if needed. Stir and cook for 5 more minutes.