Cuban Meat Sauce
Picadillo is Cuban-style hash and a favorite meal of most Cubans. It’s ground beef with tomato sauce, green pepper, green olives, capers, petit pois, raisins and of course, plenty of garlic.
We like to eat it over rice.
- olive oil for frying, about ¼ cup
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds lean or extra lean ground beef or ground round
- 3/4 cups tomato sauce or ½ cup tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 cup stuffed green olives chopped
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoon dry wine (any kind as long as it is dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to your taste
Brown beef and pork in olive oil. Add onion, green pepper and garlic; continue to brown with meat. Once meat is well browned add olives, raisins, bay leaf, tomato sauce, wine, capers, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer approximately 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve over white rice. Serves 4. Serve with side dish of fried plantains. All ingredients may be adjusted to taste.