Cuban Garlic Soup
Cuban Garlic Soup (Sopa de Ajo Cubana) was inherited from the Spanish and Cubans have adapted it to their taste. It has a strong taste due to the amount of garlic and butter used in its preparation. Also just like chicken soup, its wonderful even if youre NOT sick!
- ½ a bulb of garlic
- ½ a large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stick of butter
- 6 cups of chicken, beef or vegetable stock salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1 piece of toast, cubed or torn, or a few croutons, per person
- 1 egg per person (optional) cream (optional)
- Split the garlic bulb into individual cloves and peel and mash them.
- Sauté the mashed garlic and onion slowly in a large saucepan using the butter until the onions are translucent, being careful not to let the garlic turn brown and bitter. Then transfer garlic, onions and butter to a food processor or blender.
- Add a small amount of broth and process until onion and garlic mix is all smooth. Return to saucepan and add the rest of the broth and seasonings.
- To serve, add the toast or croutons to each bowl, break a fresh egg into each bowl and then top with soup.
Serves 4 – 6.