Quimbombo con Carne (Okra with Beef)
The combination of okra (quimbombó) with meat is exquisite to the palate. Here is just one of many ways of doing it. Enjoy it!!!
- 1 pound lean stew beef, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds tender okra, cut into 1/2″ pieces, OR 1-1/2 pounds sliced frozen okra
- 3 semi-ripe plantains
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce water
In a large heavy pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil to shimmering hot. Add cubed beef and chopped onion. Sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently, until meat is nicely browned. Add water to cover. Put on lid and simmer for five minutes.
Peel the plantains and cut into large chunks. Add okra, plantains chunks and all seasonings. Add tomato paste and tomato sauce and mix. Add enough water to barely cover all ingredients, and stir again. Bring to a full boil.
Turn heat to medium low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, about fifteen to twenty minutes then add the plantain. Remove bay leaf. Taste to correct salt and red pepper flakes, if needed.