Papas Rellenas (Cuban Stuffed Potato)
The Fried Stuffed Potatoes (Papas Rellenas) is a very popular Cuban dish, and great for lunch or dinner. Go ahead with it!!!
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp. salt & garlic powder
- Parsley for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. Warm milk
- 2 eggs, beaten with 1 Tbsp. Water
- 1-2 cups breadcrumbs
- Boil potatoes until they are fully cooked
- Drain and mash the potatoes – adding the salt, garlic powder and warm milk. Do not add butter.
- Let cool. Grab a handful of the mashed potatoes and make a small bowl (about the size of half a large golf ball), making an indentation in the middle. Repeat.
- Stuff the indentations with picadillo and bring the two halves together and smooth the outside. You should have a small picadillo-stuffed potato at this point. Repeat until you run out of potatoes or picadillo
- Beat the eggs with water until they are fluffy.
- Dip the stuffed potato into the beaten egg, then roll them in the breadcrumbs mixture until lightly covered. Repeat once more
- Cover the stuffed potato and refrigerate for at least 3 or 4 hours or overnight before the next step
- Remove from the refrigerator and allow them to cool down to room temperature before frying
- Fill a large frying pan with enough oil to cover half a ball
- Fry each ball at least 2 minutes per side, turning once – or at least until they’re golden brown.
Note: There are many ways to serve papas rellenas- as a main dish or appetizer, hot or cold or even with spicy breadcrumbs!