Potaje de Garbanzos cuban style. This hearty soup can be served as a main dish, thick with chick-peas and accented with spanish sausages.
- 1 Pound Dried Garbanzos (Chick-peas)
- 1/2 Pound Smoked Bacon
- 1 Ham bone (Ham hock)
- 1/2 Pound Lean Beef
- 2 Chorizos (Spanish sausage)
- 1 Small whole Onion
- 1/2 Green Pepper
- 1 Whole ripe Tomato
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Pinch – Saffron
- 3 Medium Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Wash beans in cold water and discard imperfect ones.
- Cover with salted water at least 3 inches above beans and soak overnight.
- The next morning, drain and rinse beans thoroughly.Set beans aside.
- Place bacon, ham bone, beef, chorizos, onion, green pepper, tomato and bay leaf in a 3 to 4 quart saucepan or soup pot. Cover with water 2 inches above ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil; skim several times.Lower heat to moderate, cover, and place saffron on the cover to toast.
- Cook about 30 minutes Add beans and bring to a boil again.
- Cover and reduce heat to moderate; cook another 30 minutes.
- Crumble toasted saffron and add. Stir gently once.
- Cover and cook another 30 minutes, or until beans are tender and not overcooked. By this time, meats should be tender.
- Remove meats to heated platter and reserve.
- Discard ham bone and remainder of onion, green pepper, tomato and bay leaf. Add potatoes to beans and correct salt seasoning.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat until potatoes are done, about 30 minutes.
- Cut beef into small portions. Slice chorizos into thin rings. Cube the cooked bacon.
- Return meats to soup kettle.
- Heat thoroughly and serve hot.